Vegan Protein Sources
A few months ago, I decided to do a food sensitivities test and it turned out that I have sensitivities towards foods I did not expect, such as chicken, eggs, meat or salmon and I had to look out for more vegan sources of protein to include into my diet. Reducing the food I am sensitive to has helped strengthen my immune system and reduce inflammation in my body.
Brown lentils are one of the best sources of vegan protein: 100g of cooked lentils provide about 10g of protein. They are a great source of folate and manganese as well as many other vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
Where I Get My Inspiration
I first ate this salad a couple of weeks ago in a restaurant near my house and I decided to try to make it myself and came up with my own version of it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and it will help you to feel better.
Let’s Get Cooking!
This salad has a variety of colorful ingredients: cooked lentils, baby spinach, carrots, beets, pomegranate seeds, black sesame seeds and white sesame seeds.
Wash the lentils and cook them with 2 cups of water. Set aside and let cool.
In the meantime, grate the carrots and cut the beets into small strips. Extract the seeds from the pomegranate.
Place the cooked lentils, baby spinach, carrots, beets, pomegranate seeds in a large mixing bowl and add apple cider vinegar and olive oil to the ingredients. Season with sea salt and black pepper and mix. Transfer portions to plates and sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 Cup Brown Lentils
- 2 Cups Water
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 2 Carrots, small
- 1/2 Can Beets, cooked
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tsp. Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tsp. Black Sesame Seeds
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds (Optional)
- Wash the lentils with a sieve under running water and place into a cooking pot. Add the water and bring to a boil. Let cook for 20 to 25 minutes until lentils are soft. Set aside and let cool.
- In the meantime, cut the beets into small strips. Do the same with the carrots or grate them. Extract the seeds from the pomegranate.
- Add spinach, lentils, beets, carrots and pomegranate to a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil and apple cider vinegar and season with pepper and sea salt to your liking. Mix well.
- Transfer portions to plates and decorate with black and white sesame seeds. Add some pumpkin or sunflower seeds (optional). Enjoy!